Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Break Wrap



The final day of this blissful, school-free week is approaching all too quickly, and as I sit here, back home, it must be said that it was indeed a rad break. Since the last update, we traveled from Revelstoke to Kicking Horse. We spent three nights outside of golden, bc in a little b&b sorta place, and skied two days at the horse.

The snow left quite a bit to be desired, with the majority of this skiing done on bulletproof big icy bumps. We did get a small dusting of white that made it a bit softer but still, not so good. Despite the sub-prime snowpack, and often cloudy flat light weather, we did get some really spectacular skiing done. For a good handful of runs, the clouds parted and gave us some really stunning views of the surrounding mountains. the vertical here is truly remarkable.

As of yet, I'm not super psyched to go back to the resorts, not without serious snow fall action. But I really want to do a hut ski trip, or a tour, that would be sweet beyond imagination.



In other news. went for another ride on the devil today. 2nd outing, but first real ride. I may have to officially proclaim myself as a member of the 29er bandwagon. All of the problems that people on mtbr argue about... nada. in fact, this bike seems to have increased my technical riding skills by several times.

Take for example a particular section of trail up in the hills. Its not really that tough, and most riders would probably scoff at my hesitation (Some i know for a fact ride it on 26ers without blinking but still...), but I have never successfully cleaned this bit. in fact, I haven't tried to since I buried my front wheel into a rock and went sprawling over the bars sometime last summer.
Today though, there was no problem. all the way through, no dabs or anything. so easy to just float over the rocks. way sweet.

No comments: