Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Inspiration

got some new literary material recently. not the typified literature, more stuff that librarians and teachers snub. good stuff that is.

first off. Props to Ski Journal. I have had a subscription with those guys since the debut issue little more than a year ago. incredibly quality stuff in the glossies of this particular mag. most of my views towards ski magazines are similar to those of bikes' ; too many advertisements. too many ways to get lean fast, too corporate. in every sense of the word. The Journal is an outlier. Much like a higher budget version of the mountain flyer (another paper worthy of top spot next to the throne) but it goes more than skin deep. the pictures, yes are beautiful, jaw dropping, and saliva inducing, but the articles are that much better. I wont spoil it for you, so figure it out (Subscribe!) Its rad.

Secondly, two new libros from mi cumpleaƱos, the edited and complete versions of Richard Promenke's diaries. wonderful. he is a man, no way around that, and a wonderful writer. Critics say hemmingway is austere, I think they would pull out a magnifying glass to try and find meaning in his pages. They never would though. that is it's beauty. It reserves the magic for those who have tasted the wonder he feasts upon daily. wonderful stuff.

And thirdly, nay not lastly, but among the most important, Is the revisitation of my latest Abbey. Desert Solitaire and Chronicles of a Barbarian are nearly too much to handle together. too much genius, keeps me up too late at night thinking. pure and unfiltered, it is rough and tumble, at times crazy. but also undeniably intelligent and strong. I wish I had a chance to meet this fellow. I think he has much to teach us. not all from that which is typed. for now, I will take what i can, because this man knows that words, words have power.

No comments: