Saturday, May 26, 2007

Holey smokes

17°C mostly cloudy. Went for a ride today to try and make up for missing the angel fire race, and I am beat. Got up early and rode up 4-mile canyon to the fork.

I went left, up towards wall street and sunset. This is probably one of the most beautiful places I have seen within an hour of riding from Boulder. The creek was roaring and it was green as can be.

I love getting out early in the morning, no traffic, no roadies trying to beat you up to poorman's. A very good day. I was a tad worried because I hadnt touched my bike since last friday, but my legs felt surprisingly snappy and some new Louis XIV on the tunepod provided some mo. But then came the shocker. Last night I had decided to take the more... direct route, that being Pennsylvania Gultch, and paid the price.

For those of you who dont know, PA gultch involves about a 20 minute hike-a-bike over some of the steepest, rockiest, and overall most gnarly stuff around. Think of the beginning of the 505 road out of Eldora, but for as far as the eye can see, and steeper, and rockier. It was SICK. It has been far too long since I've gotten out in the wilderness by myself, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had plans to try and meet Pilot Dan some where out there, but no such luck. Oh well, I'm sure he had a good ride.