Saturday, April 19, 2008

fit(ness) and signs



2 for 2 rides up lee hill and deer trail yesterday. not a lot of things to note, other than the ridiculous heat today. and the fact that I had a hint of fitness in my legs. Its by far the best I've felt since the last day of the Phoenix trip. Infinitely frustrating to me that I couldn't have felt this strong last sunday. Mighta been able to break top 5.



So I would not normally take a picture of this sign. Its not an uncommon sight around boulder. The reason why this stands out is that one line: "hikers welcome." Not only is this an exemplary display of frustrating fact that people think cyclists are problem causers, but they just have to slap you in the face with their little white pedestrian loving glove.
This brings up a problem that really irritates me. Even though I think conservation is important, Limiting people's usage of trails, be they on foot, bicycle, unicycle, skis, or whatever is going to do nothing but keep people from doing fun things outside. And when you keep people from going outside and enjoying themselves, one day, there will be a generation of people who will stop caring about the outside. and then when that generation of people grow up and get jobs and run our country, they will disrespect and disregard what makes this place so spectacular. The best way to instill a sense of responsibility is not to turn folks away, but to let them get off the highways and see what needs to be saved. Granted, I don't think that everyone should get to go everywhere, and certain groups (cough, equestrians and motorists, cough cough) need to be limited, But for god sakes, take down some of those signs.

1 comment:

NickS said...

Wise words once again young Sam.