Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Adventure Pt. I

Its been quite some time since my last entry, and a lot has happened. Lots to catch up on. I need a laptop so I can make updates when im gone for 2 weeks at a time, Add that to the list. This is part one, part two will

For the past week and a half I have been on quite an adventure. It would take forever to explain the whole thing so I will let the pictures do the talking, for the most part. I have ridden my bike every single day for at least 4 hours sometimes 8, without a break, since last sunday.
The first half of this "vacation" involved six days of intense training and learning at a regional development camp at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs.

It felt a bit like boot camp with a soft-serve ice cream machine and more riding than you could shake a stick at. We rode, ate, slept, listened to lectures and had our television fall out of the wall at three o'clock in the morning.

There are some really cool trails around the springs, and i would like to do some more riding there. The only problem was that there were no high mountains. You could climb for 3 hours and still be in the hot, dusty, crowded foothills. No way to escape. It wasn't all bad though. We got to spend some time out on the velodrome, which was sketchy as hell but super fun.

Another surprise was one of the coaches. A Mr. Greg Frozley, I believe, who rides for spike shooter who has been a multi-year IGSSC attendee. Very cool indeed.

And, I was WORKED, almost all of me was sore. Probably not the best right before a race, but whatever. Oh, and I was witness to the birth of a new sport. Its all top secret and underground right now, but heres one of the pics.




When Friday rolled along, packed up and headed over to Crested Butte. We were staying at the area with twenty or so other racers from boulder for the MSC race. Pre-rode on Friday evening, and woke up early on Saturday to shovel down oats three hours before the gun.

The race sucked. Something about the combination of sleep deprivation, over training, under fed, and not motivated, this was probably my worst race. I dropped out after the first lap when a bottle of GU2O did not sit too well with my stomach. I had cramps, but i also felt like shit anyways. Thats the first race i have ever not finished because of not feeling like it. Upon looking back, i probably could have kept going, but there was no fun. And when I no longer am having fun, I force myself to take a step back.

In this case, stepping back was three days of truly epic riding around CB. While I probably should have been resting, Saturday evening involved an awesome hour and a half loop out of town. This was followed by dinner at the stash, and a grande round of P and H.

No comments: